Friday, May 14, 2010

Library Management Systems Maketh Not a Great Blog.

It may appear that I have abandoned my baby blog in its first days of life.

Shame on me? But I have an excuse. Excuses, excuses, excuses...

My time has been occupied by many things that are important to library development but are either not library blog-worthy...or TOP SECRET.

I attended a week-long training for the LMS/catalog which will be implemented in the museum library. I cringe at the thought of writing about cataloging. I just cringed while typing "writing about cataloging"...and again.

I will spare you the details of my other day-to-day activities while learning the ropes or however the expression goes, and I am happy to report that I have arrived at the blog-able part of library development. Or at least I am now adding it into the mix of tasks and goals.

I have begun collection development. That is, adding to organized lists/folders for potential book orders AND going through the existing collection. I have the help of the now curatorial staff member who was working on library stuff before Qatar Airways swooped down and dropped me on a sand dune.

I will be sharing interesting details about books in the near future.

Speaking of excuses, do you know the song "Excuses"? Last night, I discovered that my library predecessor and I share an affinity for it. So, while totally unrelated to the subject matter of the museum, library, and blog yet much more pleasurable than MARC records, I leave you with the happy live version:


No comments:

Post a Comment